About this task
Guides for setting up Snort on various OS distributions are available from https://www.snort.org/documents.
Pre-built packages for Fedora and CentOS are also available from https://www.snort.org/.
The following guide describes how to install Snort from source. Snort will be installed with the prefix /usr/local/snort and configured to use registered rules.
Before you begin
- The host OS is CentOS 6.8. You may need to adapt the installation process for other OS distributions.
- The Napatech driver software and libpcap with Napatech extensions are installed as described in DN-0379 and DN-0428. For this example, the Napatech driver software and Napatech libpcap were installed in the default installation directory, /opt/napatech3/.
- You have installed the software packages required for building and running libdnet, daq, and Snort, such as pcre and zlib libraries and headers.
- The snort.conf from the Snort rules package may assume that additional software packages are installed, such as lzma libraries and headers.
To prepare for Snort installation, perform the following steps.
Download this software package from https://github.com/dugsong/libdnet/releases/tag/libdnet-1.12:
Download snort software packages from https://www.snort.org
- To download registered snort rules, you must register and log in to https://www.snort.org.
Download these software packages from https://www.snort.org/downloads/:
The version number of the Snort rules package must correspond to the version number of the Snort package.