The SmartNIC is not hot-pluggable.
About this task
Power off the server, and remove the server cover.
CAUTION:Refer to the server documentation for correct procedure and for safety instructions.
Remove the SmartNIC from the ESD bag.
CAUTION:Observe the ESD precautions detailed in ESD Precautions when handling or placing the SmartNIC on a surface.
- Insert the SmartNIC in a vacant PCI Express ×8 or ×16 connector, ensuring that it sits securely within the PCI Express connector.
- Optionally connect the optional auxiliary power connector to an additional power supply outlet (see Optional Auxiliary Power Connector Specifications).
- Secure the SmartNIC at the rear end of the server by fastening it at the top of the I/O bracket using the retention mechanism provided in the server, if applicable.
Plug in the desired SFP or SFP+ modules.
See Plug In a Pluggable Module for more detailed instructions.
- Connect a network device via a fiber optic cable or via a copper-based cable to the SmartNIC depending on the pluggable module.
- Replace the server cover, and power on.
- Install the driver for the SmartNIC.
The SmartNIC is now ready to operate.